Jesus’ “I am” statements would have particular significance to the first-century Jewish listener. God had revealed Himself to Moses with a resounding “I AM” (Exodus 3:14). Jesus used the same words to describe Himself (Exodus 4:26; 6:20; 13:19).
Below is a list of Jesus’ seven “I Am” statements in the book of John.
- “I am the bread of life.” (John 6:35, 41, 48, 51) As bread sustains physical life, so Christ offers and sustains spiritual life.
- “I am the light of the world.” (John 8:12) To a world lost in darkness, Christ offers Himself as a guide.
- “I am the door of the sheep.” (John 10:7,9) Jesus protects His followers as shepherds protect their flocks from predators.
- “I am the resurrection and the life.” (John 11:25) Death is not the final word for those in Christ.
- “I am the good shepherd.” (John 10:11, 14) Jesus is committed to caring and watching over those who are His.
- “I am the way, the truth, and the life.” (John 14:6) Jesus is the source of all truth and knowledge about God.
- “I am the true vine.” (John 15:1, 5) By attached ourselves to Christ, we enable His life to flow in and through us. Then we cannot help but bear fruit that will honor the Father.
4 replies on “Jesus’ Seven “I Am” Statements”
The Bible is the source of consolation and a lamp to show us the way to eternal life. In this troubled world, we need a blessed hand to lead us. Continue the good work!
Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” John 8:58 NKJV
On many lists of “I am” statements of Jesus, John 8:58 is missing. This seems unfortunate, as it sums all 7 up quite nicely, hearkening back to Exodus 3:14.
I and My Father are one.” John 10:30 NKJV
Knowing the Truth revealed in John 8:58 and John 10:30, we can widen our perspective on the 7 verses.
May God Richly Bless You!!
I am studying the names of God this year and this article was a good source for I am who I Am thankyou
I prayer to GOD that at the least these seven statements be available and taught to all. In JESUS’S name, Amen. The teaching of these statements should proceed the learnings of reading and writing in all schools. For as I believe they are fundamentally advantageous to everyone. Especially our children whom will benefit the most because these facts are the way. More important than most if not all of the information in which our schools, parents and society teach our children. PRAISE OUR PERFECT GOD!